Thursday, August 16, 2012

August 2012 Glymm Bag (and why I’m disappointed)

***Edit: added screenshot of product information “card” as well as estimated uses (using the uses per sample from the info card and the powers of math)  for full size products***

Hello again. Sorry  it’s been so long since my last post. I have a couple new polishes to show you, which should be up sometime this weekend or next week, but for now, I wanted to post my August Glymm review. As you probably guessed by the title, I wasn’t too impressed.

This month’s bag, as usual, came wrapped in tissue paper. The box, I noticed even before opening it, was really light, which is always a little worrying/scary, but isn’t always a bad thing. This time, however, it was basically foreshadowing.

100_1395

The August bag is deceptively cute!

100_1397

Maybe they knew they wouldn’t really have anything good to put in the bag, so they made us a really nice one, as consolation. However, I don’t really feel consoled, because I wouldn’t have spent $10 + tax for this makeup bag alone ($12 + tax for new subscribers). Here’s a peek inside:

100_1399

Now, before we get into the regular products, I want to show you the one that made me kind of mad:

The Laundress Delicate Wash – Lady:

100_1419

100_1420

Full size: $22.00 for 500 ml (approx. uses: 33)
Sample size: 15 ml
Approx. Sample Value: $0.66

Are you bloody kidding me? They sent us FANCY LAUNDRY DETERGENT?! Why in the world do I need special, extremely expensive, laundry detergent for my underwear? I think this is ridiculous. And in a program which is supposed to send me beauty products, I think this is completely unacceptable. Technically, this is sample #6… and since the bag is supposed to be 4-5 a month, this is probably an extra. However, I hate the next sample so much (and both this and the next one are so small and cheap) that I really don’t count it…

Anyways, in case you are wondering and couldn’t guess: I will never buy this product, and I’m even guessing I’ll probably never use this sample. I just have no use for it. Ugh…

Mai Couture Foundation Power Papier in Nude Glow:

100_1413

100_1414

Full size: $19.00 for 50 sheets (approx. uses: 100)
Sample size: 2 sheets
Approx. Sample Value: $0.76

Here’s another product I’m really not impressed with. This is the second time that Glymm has sent out these stupid blotting papers with makeup on them. And although their packaging is better this time (it was in a mini ziploc bag in February’s Glymm Box), once again, there only 2 of these pathetic little papers, which are valued at under a dollar. Finally, once again, these papers are not actually useful, at least for me. They are extremely glittery, as were the “bronzing” papers in February. At least these are the colour of foundation powder! I would probably be a little less angry about these if they called them highlighting sheets, because I can’t imagine them being useful as anything else.

Will never purchase. Might try using these as a highlighter, on a day when it doesn’t matter if I’m too glittery.

Atelier Cologne in Vanilla Insensée:

100_1400

100_1401

100_1403

100_1404

Full size: $70.00 for 30 ml (approx. uses: 400)
Sample size: 1.5 ml
(? estimate; it doesn’t say,
but I guessed 1.5 for the last Atelier sample)
Approx. Sample Value: $3.50

This is the second time that we’ve received an Atelier Cologne (the last was in April), however I’m way less unhappy about this sample. Although I’m not big on perfume samples in general, both of the Atelier Colognes I have received so far smell amazing, are extremely concentrated, and come with an adorable photo postcard (since each fragrance comes with a scene/story). This smell is fantastic, especially since I adore vanilla! According to Glymm, the other notes in this fragrance are: “jasmine and fresh lime to bond with rich oak moss, woods and spicy coriander.”

I doubt I would purchase this perfume, since is is so expensive, but if I ever received it as a gift or in a giveaway, I would be exceptionally grateful!

Naked Princess Naked Shine Luscious Lip Gloss in Barely Nude:

100_1406

100_1408

100_1409

100_1410

100_1411

Full size: $26.00 for 2.96 ml (approx. uses: 173)
Sample size: 0.24 ml
Approx. Sample Value: $2.11

I think if this were a bigger sample, it would likely be my favourite of the box. However it’s so tiny!! I have a hard time calling this a “deluxe sample,” but I do admit that it’s really nice. Its supposed to plump without irritation, but I don’t really see any plumping effects. That said, that isn’t something I look for in a gloss, and I’m really glad that it doesn’t irritate or burn my lips. Its very smooth, not sticky, and smells (and tastes!) like chocolate! Its a very neutral pink colour, as you’d expect from the name. Nothing special, but pretty.

I probably wouldn’t buy this product because it is so expensive, and because I have way way way too many lip products. I wish the sample size were bigger, I’m going to go through this so fast!

Vitamine & Sea Mineral Clay Mask:

100_1415

100_1417

Full size: $62.00 for 210 ml (approx. uses: 63)
Sample Size: 10 ml
(estimate; again unstated)
Approx. Sample Value: $2.95

I like receiving masks because they really aren’t something that I buy on my own because they tend to be quite pricey, and I’m not sure I trust the cheaper ones (if you know a good drugstore one, let me know in the comments!). This is made with Dead Sea clay, which, if I remember correctly, is supposed to be fantastic for your skin. It’s also loaded with vitamins (B1, B2, C, A, D and E) from the sweet almond oil, which is probably also the general scent of the mask, along with the sweetness of the honey, which is supposed to “protect from daily free radical damage and balance your skins moisture.”

I’m looking forward to trying this out, but for $62, this would have to work miracles to make me buy it. I would like to get a mask though, so let me know of any good, affordable ones!

Bentaberry G-1 Moisturizing Face Cream for Boys and Girls – Regulating Line:

100_1418

Full size: $22.00 for 30 ml (approx. uses: 70)
Sample size: 3 ml
Approx. Sample Value: $2.20

Aside from the products that made me angry, this is probably the product that I’m least excited about. Not that there’s anything wrong with it, but its just another face cream, and they send us a new one pretty much every single month. I like he one I have and use now (Sephora’s Instant Moisturizer), and I’m not interested in any of the creams they send us. I really want them to switch it up with some more makeup, too. Anyways, back to the product. This is 100% natural and has lots of good things in it, and is supposed to mattify your skin. So we’ll see how that goes.

As I mentioned before, this is unlikely to wow me, and thus I am unlikely to purchase the full size, but I shall try it out.

In case you’re interested, here’s the product “card:” (click for full size)

august 2012 glymm product card

Approx. Total Value: $12.18

This is another reason that I’m extremely disappointed in this month’s products. For me, that’s only 98 cents more than I paid for the box, and for new subscribers, this is more than a dollar LESS than they paid for the box, after taxes! This is completely ridiculous! Usually, even on a lame month, the value of the box is $25 or up, but this s really really sad. There were some very expensive products in this month’s box, but the samples were so small that it still didn’t add up. Only two of the products even count as deluxe as far as I’m concerned – the face cream and the mask – and the rest you could probably get for free elsewhere!

Also, why do we only ever get lip products, skin care, perfume, or hair products? What about something new? Send me some eyeshadow, a liner, foundation, bb cream, blush!! Come on. Also, there used to frequently be a full sized sample! My first month (last October) I got three! Several other months there were two. But the last full size of anything was a lip balm/lipstick duo two months ago from a company I’ve never heard of!

Glymm, you’ve managed to learn to ship on time, now I need you to start sending the products I want to try out. More makeup. Some cool full-size stuff? Preferably not lipsticks? Please?

I remain subscribed for now, because I hold out hope they’ll get better again, and because I want to accumulate enough points to get the stuff I want from the shop… But I might have to leave if they can’t get it together.

If you want to subscribe through my link, click here:

https://www.glymm.com/share/youwerefantastic95

Did you get this month’s Glymm? What did you think?

7 comments:

  1. This month I got the bag with the full size nail polish so I wasnt upset because the nail polish covered the cost of the bag so it was like everything was extra. But I dont think it is fair that only a couple handfuls of girls got the nail polish and everyone else got these little samples. I will have my review up on Saturday!

    :) Chelsey
    industrialdimestoremagic.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's annoying! A full sized nail polish would probably have saved my hate for this month! x_X

      I look forward to seeing your post. I'm glad not everyone's bag sucked, but I wish mine hadn't!

      Delete
  2. i can see why u were disappointed. i hate getting perfume samples for some reason! lol the mask looks pretty good though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's pretty lame that each bag is slightly different. We should all get the same items.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the same bag as you, but with Mai Couture blush sheets that I will never use because they're a terrible colour. I am annoyed enough that I wrote an email to Glymm about being disappointed in the value differences this month. I'm all for having some variety in the bags, but the bag with the nail polish was worth at least $10 more than any of the others. Definitely not fair to subscribers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree: the values should be similar whether we get the same or different bags. Writing them an email is a good idea!

      Delete
  5. Disappointing! I've had it for a year now and it's been getting worse and worse.... although, I was very lucky with mine http://guiltlust.blogspot.ca/2012/08/glymm-bag-august-2012-exciting-new.html

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, and I really do read them all! So let me know what your thoughts are!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...