Friday, August 3, 2012

Awesome 500 point reward from Sephora!

So a little while ago, I finally hit 500 (actually, 501 to be exact) points on my Beauty Insider card. That isn’t since my Sephora opened, since at least once I cashed in at 100 points, but the rewards just aren’t worth it. I was really excited, however, when only a little while after reaching 500 Sephora sent out and email about the new 500 point reward: a Make Up Forever set of mini products! One of the products was the main reason for wanting to get this, and that is the mini jar of the HD Finishing powder, but I’ll get to that in a minute. First here’s a quick look at the bag itself:

100_1337

HD Microperfecting Primer:

100_1341

Full size: 1.01 oz for $38.00
Sample size: 0.05 oz
Approx. Sample Value: $1.88

First up, we have the least impressive sample in this set, since its in a little foil packet. You may have heard me rant about this type of packaging before, especially in terms of hair products, so I won’t go into that now. However, I was kind of excited to try out this product anyways.

Unfortunately, however, since it was the only new thing I was wearing that day, I can pretty confidently say that this product caused me to break out pretty badly. I will not be using up the rest of what is in the package, and I will certainly not be purchasing.

Aqua Eyes Waterproof Eyeliner in Black:

100_1347

100_1339

Full size: 0.04 oz for $20.00
Sample size: 0.025 oz
Approx. Sample Value: $12.50

I have a really hard time believing the tiny little pencil I got in this set is worth $12.50, especially since it means that it is more than half of the size of the full-sized pencil. Even so, I’m happier with this product than with the primer. However, I don’t think it’s anything special.

I will have a swatch of this pencil at the bottom of this post, along with the lipgloss swatch, and you will see that it isn’t super pigmented. Also, while it does have good staying power, and seems to be relatively waterproof, for me, it in no way beats Urban Decay’s 24/7 Waterproof liners! I much prefer the pigmentation on the UD liners, they go on smoother for me, and I feel they stay just as well if not better. While it was really nice to get to try out another brand (essentially for free), I will be sticking with my beloved Urban Decay.

HD Microfinish Powder:

100_1343

Full size: 0.35 oz for $35.00
Sample size: .035 oz
Approx. Sample Value: $3.50

This is the product that I was most excited to try out, since people on Reddit, blogs, and YouTube tend to rave about this product, or the ELF equivalent, which many people have said is comparable, if not just as good.

I have worn it a couple times since getting it, however I haven’t had an opportunity to really test its ability to make my makeup last longer. What I noticed today, however, is that it isn’t hard to put on too much and end up looking just a little too pale for your neck and shoulders! Not a great look. All in all, for the price, when this runs out I think I’m much more likely to try out the ELF finishing powder before considering purchasing this one.

Smoky Lash Mascara in Extra Black:

100_1344

100_1351

Full size: 0.23 oz for $25.00
Sample size: 0.1 oz
Approx. Sample Value: $10.87

This is another thing that I was looking forward to trying out from this set, though I wish this was the waterproof version. I love trying out new mascaras, and I know I’m not the only one, but I love to change up my mascara every time I run out of a bottle.

I really love the application for this one, and to my surprise, I had less issues with flaking, smudging, or smearing of this mascara than I’ve always expected with a non-waterproof mascara! (I’ve never actually owned a mascara that wasn’t waterproof out of fear of black smears everywhere!) I’ve also been liking how easily it comes off, since its always easier to apply makeup in the morning when all the mascara of the previous day has been removed. That said, I haven’t worn this any time when I would be sweating or during any sappy movies, so I’m not saying that it can hold up to that kind of pressure, since I simply haven’t tested that. I would really love to try out the Make Up Forever’s waterproof Smoky Lash mascara, though, and I might consider purchasing that next time I’m in need of a new mascara!

Lab Shine Lipgloss Star Collection in S2 (Pearly Beige):

100_1346

100_1348

Full size: 0.09 oz for $21.00
Sample size: 0.05 oz
Approx. Sample Value: $11.67

I was pretty sure this lipgloss was going to be a throw-away; something nice to add to the set, but nothing special, but I was very wrong. I’m pretty sure this is actually one of my favourite products from the set!

Despite the brush applicator, which I find a little annoying for application—I much prefer doe-foot applicators—I love pretty much everything about this gloss! It’s not sticky, and doesn’t get sticky as it wears off, it smells fantastic (kinda like my Earl’s Garden tea from DavidsTea, which is a strawberry earl grey, mmmm…), and the colour is very neutral and pretty! I think for $21, I would consider buying this gloss if I run out (I’ve yet to ever run out of a lipgloss thus far, but I guess there’s a first for everything), or else trying out another colour from the line.

And here’s a swatch of the liner and gloss:

100_1349

Approximate value of this set: $40.42

I would just like to put a disclaimer out here that I’m not sure whether the prices here are Canadian or American. I found them on the Sephora site, and while there is a Canadian flag in the top corner and a “C” in front of the prices as if to signify these are the Canadian prices, in the past Sephora’s site usually only showed American prices. So take my numbers as estimates, I suppose!

How many Sephora Beauty Insider points have you managed to accumulate? Have you got anything interesting with your points, or have you tried any of the products I received? Let me know in the comments! =)

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, great post, just followed! What an awesome reward! I don't actually have a Sephora that is convenient for me to get to and I have no idea how many points I have. But this reward seems really worth saving the points for! Those products look like so much fun to try!

    Please consider following me at onyxandmick.blogspot.ca
    :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, and I really do read them all! So let me know what your thoughts are!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...