Saturday, November 12, 2011

ELF Studio and Mineral lines Haul!

Hey everyone! Sorry this post took so long to get up, but I’ve been so busy with school and stuff lately, but I just didn’t have the time at all. I also have a post to write about my Julep Maven to write, as well as a nail look and perhaps a mascara review, all of which I will hopefully get up in the next few days.

So, I got this ELF stuff using one of those internet coupon deal sites (I can’t remember which one) that someone posted online, because they were selling a coupon for $30 worth of ELF Studio or Mineral makeup for only $15! Unfortunately, Canadian shipping from ELF is crazy, and I couldn’t use the free shipping code with the coupon to save the standard shipping portion, but I did still get $15 off, so I figure it was still a good deal. Since there wasn’t $30 worth of stuff that I wanted to try, I split the deal with my friend, and we each paid $15 (because of shipping…) and got 5 things from the Studio line.

Here is what I ordered:

IMAG1863Mineral Eye shadow Primer, Mineral Moisturizing Lip Tint, Pressed Powder, a Complexion Brush, Makeup Mist and Set, and also a pink polish, which wasn’t part of the coupon deal, but was only $1!

Also, because it’s been so long since I got my shipment, I’ve had some time to really try out the products, so I can give them a bit of a review as well as simply telling you my first impressions, which I guess is a bit of a plus.

The first thing is the pressed powder, which I really wanted to try. I’d been using Rimmel’s Stay Matte mineral face powder in “Transparent” before, but I was almost completely out, and wanted to see if this was any good before I invested in another one of my usual. I got it in “Porcelain,” which is the lightest shade they have. It’s perfect for me, but a bit too dark for my friend, who got the same one, but is paler than me, which is really unfortunate. It has a really nice texture, and the compact is nice, with a separate compartment for the puff (my old Rimmel doesn’t come with an applicator, so I had to buy my own because I didn’t have brushes before) and a mirror.

IMAG1865IMAG1867IMAG1868IMAG1870IMAG1871IMAG1872

I really like how it applies, especially with the new brush, that I’ll get to in a minute, however, I recently started breaking out on my chin worse than usual, and a bit on my cheeks, which usually are perfectly clear, so I’ve been starting to wonder if it’s the new powder or simply a coincidence. If it doesn’t start to clear up soon, I might give up on it and go back to my Rimmel powder.

Next, I got the Makeup Mist & Set, mostly because I had been looking at Urban Decay’s De-Slick makeup setting spray, which I had tried a couple times when I was in the store, and I really liked how it worked, but it costs about $28, if I’m not mistaken. This seemed like a much cheaper alternative, if it worked, so I decided to give it a go, since I was making the order anyway.

IMAG1874

IMAG1876

I was a little worried that it would smell terrible, but it’s actually almost completely scentless, which is great. However, I’m also not sure that it does much to help my makeup stay on. Granted, I usually don’t wear enough makeup to bother using the spray, so it hasn’t had too many trial runs as of yet.

Probably one of my favourite products from this order was my new face brush that I got, as I mentioned before, because I didn’t have any brushes before, at least none that didn’t come with my makeup. I personally hadn’t heard anything about the brushes before I ordered it, and I know that a lot of YouTube makeup bloggers use some pretty expensive brushes, but I really don’t have the funds for that, and I have a hard time spending money on things if it hasn’t been proven to me that I need to. However, I was super happy with how amazingly soft this brush is… like a bunny, and the bristles are completely synthetic. I’m really pleased with it, which is why I ordered four eye shadow brushes a couple weeks later, when my friend was putting in another ELF order. They’re just the $1 ones, but still very soft, and I really love them!

IMAG1878IMAG1879IMAG1881

Next, I got the Mineral Eye shadow Primer in Sheer, but I believe they also have a shimmery primer.  I decided to try it mostly because so many bloggers and vloggers use an eyelid primer, and I thought I would try one out that isn’t super expensive, like the Urban Decay Primer Potion that everyone adores.  Personally, I expected this product to be a bit thicker, and stickier. Instead, this primer is a rather thin, almost oily formula (and smells a lot like lipstick to me).

IMAG1882IMAG1884IMAG1890IMAG1885

I really like the applicator, which I believe is the same as the one that comes with the Urban Decay primer, and this primer blends into my skin perfectly. While this isn’t technically necessary, as you’re going to put eye shadow over it anyways, it is nice, as I don’t have to worry about making sure it’s covered. However, I don’t think I would purchase this again, because I don’t think it does its job as well as it should… as far as I can tell, my eye shadow stays on just as well whether I wear it or not. Also, what I have the most problems with anyways is my eyeliner, and I’m not going to smear primer on my waterline every morning.

Finally, I got the Mineral Moisturizing Lip Tint in Guava, in large part because I thought that the Vasanti ones sounded like an awesome idea when I was watching a video by stylishandliterate on YouTube, who loves their lip products.  The reason that I didn’t get a Vasanti tinted lip balm is because none of the Shopper’s near me sells Vasanti, which was very disappointing to find out. Anyways, so I got this product in Guava, because they were sold out of the light pink-y colour that looked the best for my skin tone, and this one looked second best:

IMAG1891IMAG1892IMAG1896IMAG1894IMAG1899

It’s a really nice formula: non-sticky, silky, soft, and just a little bit shimmery and lightly pigmented. However, the colour is a lot more orange than it looked online, which might be due to a bad picture on their side, or else maybe my screen’s colours are a little off, but either way, the colour isn’t the best on me; it certainly isn’t terrible, but I probably wouldn’t have bought this colour had I been able to try it on in a store. Oh well, it was only $3… $1.50 if you take the discount into account.

And to finish up, here’s a look at my nails done in my new ELF polish, which is in “Bubble gum pink” (with black and holo glitter on my ring finger):

IMAG1972IMAG1973

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, and I really do read them all! So let me know what your thoughts are!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...