Friday, August 31, 2012

Fashion Pet Peeves #3

Looks like it’s time for another of these! When you’re reading this, I will be making my way through masses of awesomely nerdy people at this year’s PAX Prime in Seattle, but I wanted to make sure this got posted. Anyways, this month’s topic is:

Lace shirts over just a bra:

Thankfully, Seventeen magazine agrees that wearing a bra under a lace shirt is a no-no, as I found out looking for pictures for this post:

Image from Seventeen.com

I really hate to use her as an example of bad fashion choices, since I love her so much, but in this outfit, Leighton Meester looks just awful:

Image from Glamour.com

Ignoring the terrible pants and how weird her face looks, let’s focus on the shirt. At this point, I’m honestly not sure why she bothered to throw one on, because it hides nothing. This look basically screams trashy, or at the very least, half-dressed. It’s like she forgot her shirt before she walked out the door!

Here’s another example, this time from Kristen Cavallari:

Image from VH1.com

This isn’t a trend, either. This picture was from three years ago, the Leighton Meester one was from 2010, and others were from this year. I started noticing it most last summer, and, sure enough, when the good weather hit this year, the girls seemed to decide, once again, that shirts weren’t necessary. I’ll make this one easy for you: in public, shirts are always necessary.

This is either unfair, because the girl can make lots of things look perfectly trashy, or else a great example for the same reason, but here’s the look on Miley Cyrus:

Image from Wetpaint.com

Try to ignore the atrociously loud shirts, and focus on how terrible those shirts look. I don’t care if you think she’s hot or like her new hair, I hope you can admit she looks terrible in this “style.”

I’ve never seen anyone pull off the style. Some people are more attractive than others, and so they technically will look better half-naked than others, but when it comes right down to it, there are some places where it is acceptable to be nearly naked, and those places are the beach/pool or the comfort of your own home. If you’re going up, please cover up. This also applies to the male half of the human race, who (in my opinion) shouldn’t be walking around shirtless, no matter how hot it is outside unless they’re at the beach.

There are, of course, cute and acceptable ways to pull off a sheer or lace shirt. If there weren’t all the stores wouldn’t be selling them! However, you have to put a little thought into how you style it, to make sure you come off looking sexy not trashy. Here’s one cute example:

Image from Nhemesis.com

I’d personally pair that shirt with either a black or coloured cami to make the pattern pop a bit more, but this does have a soft, romantic look.

A sheer lace shirt can also look professional and put together, as proved in this look:

Image from ImageShack.us

Please let me know whether you agree or disagree with me in the comments! I’d love to hear your argument if you like the nothing-but-a-bra look, and am always glad to have my opinions validated by those who agree with me! =)

Don’t forget to check out my other FPP posts:

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, and I really do read them all! So let me know what your thoughts are!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...