Friday, January 4, 2013

BH Cosmetics Palette Review (fairly picture heavy)

Sorry I’ve been so bad about posting lately. Once the new semester starts and I get into a normal schedule again, things will probably get back on course. As it is right now, I have several post ideas just waiting for me to type them up…

The first post I want to share with you is my review of the BH Cosmetics 1st Edition 120 Color Palette. As you saw in my Christmas haul post, I got this from my boyfriend, and now that I’ve had a couple weeks to use and play around with it, I feel a lot more qualified to tell you my opinions. But first, I’ll give you another look at the palette, including some more shots of the colours and some swatches, which I didn’t include in the Christmas post:

100_1949

100_1963

100_1953

100_1954

100_1964

100_1966

100_1967

100_1971

100_1972

100_1974

And here are a few swatches of random colours. I obviously can’t swatch all of them for you, but this gives you a bit of an idea. Some colours are more pigmented than others. The matte shades a little duller without a primer, but are wonderful and bright just like in the pan over a shadow primer. They are a little bit chalky sometimes, and a little flakey, so you do have to watch out for fall-out. That said, I think the colour pay off is worth a little fall out. The metallic and shimmery shades are really pigmented and almost creamy in texture.

100_1969

100_1968

The shadows are fairly pigmented, and even the ones that aren’t great swatched on their own are great over a primer or cream shadow. There is some fall out, but even Urban Decay has fall out… it’s kinda unavoidable, and I think the colour payoff with this palette makes it mostly worthwhile. Also, there’s just such a wonderful range of bright, neutral, matte, shimmer, and metallic shades in this palette, so I think it’s a great buy!

My boyfriend got this for $9 from BH Cosmetics’s website during their Black Friday sales, though I believe they’re usually $18. Still a pretty good price. Also, the Canadian shipping was pretty fast, so I imagine the American would be even better.

And, lastly, I wanted to show off a couple looks I tried using colours from the palette.

Icy blue (over ELF Mineral Eyeshadow Primer):

100_1992

100_1993

The colours seem to have blended together so much that its hard to tell where one ends and the next begins, but there are about 3 shadow shades in this one.

Fire gradient (over ELF Mineral Eyeshadow Primer):

100_1995

100_1996

I really loved this one, and the more I look at it, the more I like it. I love how it pops against my eye colour.

Together:

100_1997

100_1999


Especially with my eyes open, these ended up looking like Portals on my eyes!

Simple silver (over this silver glitter shadow stick thing I have from years ago):

100_2012

100_2014

And these were my New Year’s Eve eyes. I was so happy with this look. Instead of a primer, I used the silver cream shadow from the Revlon palette I won in a giveaway (which I will be showing off and reviewing in an upcoming post):100_2138

I’m not sure what was up with the colouring on this first picture, but I’m including it to show you I’m not vampirically white in all lights, it’s just my flash!

100_2139

100_2137

100_2140

My verdict: maybe not the best or most consistent product, but it’s so much better than ELF’s giant palettes, and with such wonderful colours, that I find it impossible to complain. The price is good, and the quality of the individual shadows seems to range from good to fantastic. Assuming I ever use this up, I’m sure I would want to repurchase, and at the very least, I’d love to try some more products from BH Cosmetics.

Let me know if you tried this or any other products from BH Cosmetics; I’d love to hear your thoughts! I’d also love to see or hear about your New Year’s makeup, so let me know in the comments!

I hope all of you are having a wonderful 2013 so far, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, and I really do read them all! So let me know what your thoughts are!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...